Saturday, June 6, 2009

Camera Critters - Leatherback Sea Turtle




This was an opportunity of a lifetime. While visiting our daughter, we got a call (from our daughters co-worker who cruises the beach every night looking for nesting sea turtles) about a leatherback sighting. We rushed to the scene and here we found this leatherback beginning to lay eggs. They thought she was young and a first time nester because she only dropped about 60 eggs. Typically, they drop 100 eggs or so. Anyway, she hadn't been tagged so they procedded to tag her and she needed a name...well, I got to name her and since it was April 1st I named her April. We were able to follow her (using her tracking device) for a couple of years until she lost the device . Quite amazing to see how far they travel and to come back to their original nesting site, hopefully, every year. BTW, they estimated this young female to be about 400-500 lbs and was over 5 feet long from head to tail! Her co-worker asked if we'd stay until she went back into the ocean and of course we did as you can see in the photo.

13 comments:

Snap said...

Wonderful and how exciting to be part of the sighting and to name the turtle.

Unknown said...

Great photos!!And truly the opportunity of a lifetime

Carletta said...

Wow, what an experience!

My post is here: Carletta’s Captures.

DeniseinVA said...

Wow, what a wonderful opportunity. Your photos are fantastic. I'm glad you got to experience this and that you shared these amazing photos. Thank you :)

Anya said...

Fantastic shots,
they are beautiful :)
(@^.^@)
Have a nice weekend !!

James said...

Wow that's a big turtle. I'm glad you were there to get the photos!

Anonymous said...

That must have been just a wonderful experience. Great shots!

Kilauea Poetry said...

Wow..nice post. What a beautiful turtle-

Martha said...

Now that's really cool Vicki! :-)

Tootie said...

Wow, you were so lucky! I envy you. We have been volunteering to do turtle walks one morning a week, here on Sanibel Island. I also have a sea turtle blog. I don't know why I hadn't run across yours before. Love the photo of your daughter with the turtle in her lap. :-) I believe I have a link to ccturtle on my blog. I love reading about and following with the turtle tracking.

Cezar and Léia said...

wowwwwwwwww Fabulous! My mommy loves so much turtles!
Thanks for this adorable post!
purrs and love
Luna and mommy Léia

(weloveluna.blogspot.com - Camera Critters )

Glennis said...

Fantastic experience for you, who so obviously love turtles. I haven't seen many as they are not in New Zealand waters, but I do think they are deserving of being saved!

said...

You're so fortunate to have such an amazing experience!